Varsity College IIE Higher Certificate in Business Principles & Practice
Varsity College IIE Higher Certificate in Business Principles & Practice, Introduction to IIE Higher Certificate in Business Principles & Practice
Click here to download a detailed fact sheet about this programme.
For those with the skills, drive and initiative, the business world is a place of great opportunity and reward. This Higher Certificate develops and provides students with a broad range of these essential business skills including communication, public relations, accounting, end-user computing and project administration.
Who is this Higher Certificate aimed at?
If you are interested in obtaining a sound one-year management qualification and learning about the business environment then this is the qualification for you.
What is this Higher Certificate’s accreditation status?
The IIE’s Higher Certificate in Business Principles and Practice (HBPP) is accredited by the Council on Higher Education (CHE) and is registered by the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA) on the National Qualifications Framework (NQF) as a 131-credit qualification on level 5 (SAQA ID: 71637).
What entry requirements will I need to study this Higher Certificate?
- A National Senior Certificate (NSC) with Higher Certificate admission- A minimum of 30 % for English is required; OR
- A National Certificate (Vocational) NC(V) with Higher Certificate admission – A minimum of 40 % in English on either First Additional Language or Home Language level, with a minimum of 30 % in either Mathematics or Mathematics Literacy, a minimum of 40% in Life Orientation and a minimum of 50% in four vocational subjects; OR
- A Senior Certificate (SC) (without endorsement) or equivalent– A minimum of five subjects must be passed.
Mature Age Exemption:
- Candidates must have attempted the Senior Certificate, attained the age of 23 before or during the first year of registration with three years’ work experience and proven ability relating to the proposed programme as well as adequate communication skills; OR
- Candidates must have attained the age of 45 before or during the first year of registration.
Recognition of prior learning (RPL)
Candidates can demonstrate suitability for admission in terms of Senate’s resolution 6.6 of 20 October 2005 which allows for Senate’s discretionary conditional admission (if applicable).
Please note, requirements for entry to this qualification are correct at the time of printing, however, these may change. At the time of registration, please check that the entry requirements have not changed.
If you are a foreign student, you must ensure that:
- you have an equivalent qualification to the aforementioned;
- your equivalent qualification is evaluated by the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA);
- you have a valid study visa issued in the name of The Independent Institute of Education (The IIE) that covers the duration of the qualification.
Students who successfully completed the Higher Certificate in Business Principles and Practice have the option to register for the The IIE Bachelor of Arts in Corporate Communication, Bachelor of Business Administration in Hospitality Management, The IIE Bachelor of Commerce degree or any of The IIE diploma programmes. Academic credit for some modules into the degree may be given. On completion of this Higher Certificate, students can continue into The IIE degrees with credits being transferred from certain of the HCBPP modules. Note: a minimum pass of 60% in Accounting 1A is required for credit awarded into the relevant degree.
How is this Higher Certificate structured at Varsity College?
The Higher Certificate in Business Principles and Practice is a one year programme and consists of 14 modules. The modules are delivered on a full-time basis with lectures from Monday to Friday. The Higher Certificate in Business Principles and Practice is run over two semesters, with final exams being written at the end of each semester. In addition to attending lectures you will be expected to spend time conducting your own research and working on assignments.
Varsity College IIE Higher Certificate in Business Principles & Practice, To gain the most from the blended learning experience and VC’s Wireless classrooms and campuses, students are required to BYOT (Bring Your Own Technology) mobile device – netbook, laptop or tablet – to develop the necessary academic and digital literacies over the duration of this qualification.
What must I pass in order to graduate with this Higher Certificate?
In order to be awarded this qualification, you must have achieved a minimum final year mark of fifty percent (50%) for each module of the programme; and have met all the Work Integrated Learning requirements, where applicable.
What qualification will I obtain?
When you graduate you will receive a Higher Certificate in Principles and Practice conferred by The IIE.
Career opportunities: what career areas can I pursue after I have completed this Higher Certificate?
- Project Administration
- Office Administration
- Assisting a Project Manager
- General Assistant to Management
Websites for you to visit:
Please click here to view the IIE’s terms and conditions