Midrand Graduate Institute Biomedicine
Bachelor of Science in Biomedicine
Bachelor of Science in Biomedicine (SAQA ID number 62752)
3 years full-time
February and July (selected modules only). Two semesters per academic year: February (1st semester) and July (2nd semester).
The BSc (Biomedicine) prepares you for work in the dynamic and rapidly advancing world of biomedical science and technology.
This is an extremely demanding yet highly rewarding qualification. You will develop a broad theoretical foundation in human physiology, molecular biology, microbiology and pharmacology, with an emphasis on application based research and the use of technology. You will cover a range of applied-biology core modules such as Applied Chemistry, Immunology, Biopharmaceutical Marketing and Medical Biotechnology. You will also cover subjects such as Computer Skills, Mathematics for Science Students, Quantitative Techniques and Clinical Trials.
We offer you an environment that combines theory, research and practical application. In addition, we have excellent facilities such as computer and science labs and quality lecture rooms. We ensure that you graduate with essential work skills such as critical and analytical thinking, effective problem solving, collaborating in teams and communicating effectively.
- You need a South African National Senior Certificate (NSC) for degree purposes
- Or if you have an international school-leaving certificate, you need to qualify for matric exemption from the Matriculation Board. MGI will assist with your exemption application to the Board for evaluation.
- Or you need to have successfully completed the relevant Foundation Programme.
- And you need at least 32 MGI admission points.
- At least 50% in English, Mathematics and Biology/Life Sciences.
- The points attained for the best two of the subjects of Biology/Life Sciences, Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics and Physical Science must be doubled.
- Accredited by the South African Higher Education Quality Committee (HEQC) of the Council on Higher Education (CHE).
- Registered with the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA).
The careers for you, as a Bachelor of Science in Biomedicine graduate, are varied and include:
- Academia and research
- Technical positions in laboratories and production
- Project management
- Scientific communications
- Technical sales
Teaching methods and assessment
- We use a blended approach of lecture-led learning and Technology Enhanced Learning (TEL) integrated with Work Integrated Learning (WIL) in your third year.
- You are issued with a tablet for learning and research.
- Our smaller class sizes allows for individualised attention.
- Our teaching staff is a mix of full-time academics and working professionals to ensure you benefit from quality academic and industry-specific inputs.
- You have access to campus resource centres, computer and science labs and WiFi.
- You attend lectures, small group sessions and lab practical classes.
- Throughout the programme, you have to demonstrate theoretical and practical understanding via application-based assessments such as written exams, presentations, case studies, group and individual research projects and assignments and clinical trials in the science lab.
- Animal and Plant Biology
- Applied Chemistry
- Computer Skills
- Introduction to Chemistry
- Mathematics for Science Students
- Medical Bioethics and Communication
- Physics for Science Students
- Principles of Biology
- Project Management
- Quantitative Techniques (Biology)
- Science Skills
- Biopharmaceutical Marketing
- Economics of Healthcare
- Exploration of the Industry
- Introduction to Microbiology
- Introduction to Molecular Biology
- Medical Microbiology and Immunology
- Nutraceuticals and Functional Foods
- Organ Systems Physiology
- Personal Selling and Sales Management
- Physiological Control Mechanisms
- Clinical Trials and Good Manufacturing Practice
- Medical Biotechnology
- Operational Management
- Principles of Pharmacology
- Protein Biochemistry and Analytical Chemistry
- System Pharmacology and Chemotherapeutics
- Work Integrated Learning (WIL)