Wits University DHET Gap Funding Applications
Funding applications for missing middle students
The Government, through the Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET), recommended that a fee adjustment for the academic year should be determined by universities and that it should not exceed 8%. The Government has committed to pay the fee increase through a gap funding grant on behalf of the missing middle families, whose household income is less than R600,000 per annum.
If your are eligible for, and require gap funding, please apply using the online form available on the Self-Service portal.
- Gap-funding will be granted only to South African citizens and permanent residents towards undergraduate and postgraduate qualification in and will only cover tuition fees and the University managed accommodation.
- The applicant and direct family must have a combined GROSS family income of no more than R600,000 per annum.
- Students who are eligible for NSFAS funding and those who went to Quintile 1, 2 and 3 schools do not need to apply for this gap funding.
- Students that are recipients of university merit bursaries are eligible to apply for the gap funding.
- The gap funding will not apply to students who receive a full bursary to fund their studies.
- Students will be expected to provide salary advices to enable verification of total family income and copies of identity documents of income earners. In addition, a consent form signed by parents/legal guardians/spouse enabling the university to conduct a credit check.
Students who are eligible and require gap funding should start applying from 16 January through the University while also registering with the university, using the online form that will be available on the University’s Student Self-Service portal.
The DHET will determine who receives this funding and will guarantee the fee adjustment in the form of a grant to the university.
The closing date for applications has been extended to 26th October . Funding for 2022 will be communicated.
Should you need assistance with your Gap Funding Application you can contact the FASO Office directly as follows:
See Also :